I also like him ... sadly he's gone trough hell because of DC writers. (A friend of mine usually say's that they're all addicted to a bad crak quality ... sometimes I feel she's right). Or so I've managed to discover, DC in Italy is really bad published so I've got to go in scan sites and on Utorrent to "get my hand" on issues of Robin and discover more about him. (Only to feel an ache at my heart thinking about how much Tim is near to lose his control ... and how better things could have been if Kon would had past over his self-pity and, obviously, survive to Infinite Crisis.).
Okay, stop the babbling.
I like this art.
A whole lot.
It's menacious and sad an haunted and ... I fav it immediately after posting this review.
And the "unhappy" smiley is not for you but for Tim. I say this only to leave no doubt that I'd really appreciate your work.
I really like Tim as well, but I think it's really hard to grasp on his personality.
As well... I'm not sure if it's in the latest Robin or not, but he turned Batman down when he asked him to go get some crimminal with him, right? I dont' even know if that's ooc or not, I just know that Batman was a dick and screwed him over. Although I still think that Tim should've gone with him. :/ :/
I don't know this (he really have the courage to turned Batman out? Oh God I love him more now) ...
When I were writing my review I (who yesterday had completely download my almost complete zip file of nearly every comics of Tim as Robin ever published except the last one-two years [off course in english] and I've ALREADY read them all) ... I were saying ... when I were writing my review and I've talk about Tim near to losing his control (and about how it made ache my heart) I were thinking about:
(Takes another deep breath)
0. Being present when Dick Graysons parents died in the circus accident.
1. Being an alone children because his parents were always around the world even if the children we are talking about is a freaking mini-genius of computer and one to discover Batman and Nightwing secret ids at the age of 9.
2. Being trained in Paris by Lady Shive because she found him "interesting"
3. Losing is mother (poisoned)
4. Having is father in coma
5. Having to stay in Gotham and try to make
things gone normal when Batman where crippled by Bane and Azrael take the role of Batman going totally nut
6. Having is father back, but crippled and obnoxiously interested in bonding and controlling teenager Tim like he hadn't think of do in the past
7. Becaming the leader of Young Justice only to see half of the group distrust him (his best friend Kon "Conner Kent" "Superboy" El included) because of some of the Batman shit on JLA
8. See his teammate Lobo die.
9. Helping Steph, his girlfriend, to go over the hell of her pregnancy (and he wasn't even the father!)
10. Dealing with Steph and the dust girl of the Young Justice being jealous of each other and trying to violating his privacy in the try of discover his privacy.
11. Giving the two girls a really touching speech about he and Batman and trust and how this is why he can't give them i secret ID only to found it revealed to Steph by Batman himself without consulting him only because the Bat had trouble finding him.
12. Seeing the disgregation of the Young Justice team (Lobo? Dead. Anita? Gone with her now-turned-baby parents. Cissy? Olimpic athlet and never again Arrowette. Red Tornado? Gone only God-knows-where. The dust girl? Once she had became human she lost all interest in the others member of the team, that bitch. Ray? Come and gone in a nothing.) after the death of Donna Troy.
13. In the meanwhile gone trough the massive events of Gotham. The earthquake, No Man's Land (with his father giving him lost if I'd well understand) and the others. Dealing with Bat swings of humour, the arrival of Cassandra Cain and becoming Dick "little brother". (I think being Dick Grayson little brother would keep anyone always ready to anything the wonderful, sexy dickhead former Robin could do)
14. Dealing with his father founding out that he's Robin only to find himself obligated to 'quit the job'.
15. Finding himself immediately substitutide by his ex girlfriend, former Spoiler, Stephanie Brown.
16. Put up, over ALL of this, with the various changes of school and the re-marriyng of his father with his (of the father) fisiotherapist, Dana.
17. Became involved in War Drums, coming back to his role of Robin because it is "The Right Thing To do".
18. Dealing with Stephanie death, unknowing (thank to God) that MAYBE doc Leslie Thompson had let her die because of some strange desire of vengeance for Stephanie accidentally causing the whole mess (but she had tried to fix it, damn!)
19. Dealing, at short distance from Steph death, with his father death, killed by Captain Boomerang.
20. Dealing, in the meanwhile of this latest events, with becaming part of Teen Titans v.3 and putting up with Bart (former Impulse, actual Kid Flash) being hitted at his notch and changing all his style, becaming some sort of too-much-informed-geek-with-hyperspeed.
21. Dealing with Kon up and downs, including the discovery that half of the Kon dna were make up using Lex Luthor dna. This up and downs include also Kon going all mad thanks to Luthor himself and breaking Tim arm (other then some other damages) before returning in his mind and bury himself (Kon not Tim) in Kentuckys Kent Farm.
22. Dealing with the Infinite Crisis whole mess and Kon being dead and everything going reverse. (And Tim is so NOT dealing with Kon death)
23. Going for a one year cruise around the world
alone with Dick and Bruce (this could really drive someone nuts between Dicks leather trousers and Bruce full-warrior-training mode /on)
24. Returning back, refounding the Titans and found himself attacked by Wonderbit... *AHEM* ... Wondergirl because he had give an opportunity to two doubtable people (Rose "Ravager" Wilson and Eddie "KidDevil"), then found himself with the wondersl... *AHEM* wondergirl flirting with him like if Kon had never existed o she and Kon had never been a nearly-couple for all the past years.
25. Founding himself in the position to cannot accept Rose Wilsons avance (on top of all she were drunk when she had made the proposal)
26. Being constricted to fight Cassandra Cain (former Batgirl) when she go all evil and try to take him with her (unsuccefully).
27. Dealing with brat-boy also known as the-son-of-Batman-and-R'as-Al-Ghul-daughter. And the child isn't a brat, he's a lot worst than that.
28. Confronting the Wonderthing when she discover he has been trying to re-clonate Kon and convinced her to not had him discovered by the "adults" because they probably would lock him in a place like Arkham Asylum only for the good guys or create a place like that only to put him in. And also try to shake her off his back and his mouth.
29. Somewhere all around this facts being kidnapped by Joker and managed to survive.
30. Confronted Scarecrow and being complimented by Batman because he had no more fear that could be used against him. And here I *had* to quote Tim itself or nearly-quote him. "All of I care had been taken by me. What do I have to fear?" He said, or something like that. And that's all him.
31. Least but not last ... being adocted by Bruce and gone to habit in the former Dick and former Jason Todd bedroom. (Good idea Bruce. The room of your dead Robin. Your *SUCH* a genius! - sarcastic -).
32. It weren't the least because I had forgotten "dealing with Jason, coming back from death more pissed then ever and trying to distruct Tims low self-opinion."
33. Dealing with Bruce revealing his identity to Catwoman and starting a romance with her. (This is where somewhere in the middle of the last 10 sentences but now I don't want to rewrite the numbers, I'm tired).
34. I don't remember when but somewhere Tim accidentally killed I-don't-remember-who and goes all trough the self-destruction toughts of himself like a murderer. (He, who has refused to let Lady Shiva, the best martial artist on DC earth, to teach him to use some deadly weapon to not be able to kill, prefering the Bo Staff appositely because it's not a weapon to kill).
I had to make a note ... all of this from his 14 to his 17 years.
Now I wouldn't blame him for letting Batman down at some point.
And I wouldn't even try to grasp his complete personality.
I usually think of Tim like a borderline boy who can't live a normal life but instead identifies himself in his Robin role because he didn't have anything outside of this.
He's still trying to find method to make Kon return (I hope he will succeed one day) and he's going on only because "Robin had a job to do" substantially.
He's nothing but a broken soul who once were a beautiful crystal but now is only a fake mirror of destructed glasses who stay unite only using his Robin-identity like a glue.
He's lost and sad and hurt and mad and he's still trying to do things well.
This is why I love him and this is why I love your drawing.
Because you've managed to capture part of his inner obscurity and pain.
Hoping that you had reach this final part I will excuse myself for the extremely long excursus but sometimes I need to do this enormous (maybe for someone extremely obnoxious) posts to explain myself.
Yeah, it is a ridiculous amount of stuff to happen in a span of 3 years, huh?
I felt really bad when Kon died, because I like Tim and it hurted him SO MUCH, and it seemed like the last straw for him, really. I mean, what sane person would try to clone clark and lex again just to have his friend back?
Reviving the dead never ends well.
You're right. And Kon were never happy to be a clone, inside, and Tim knows that well, like he use to know that he wouldn't become someone like Batman (but ended up really similar the same).
(I remember a comic of the Young Justice in wich they go camping and Kon call himself a sort of "Peter Pan" because at the times he cannot grow old but in the end of issue, sitting alone near the fire, he were thinking about death and quoting Peter Pan itself, with a sad face. "Death will be the greatest adventure")
I've download the whole Infinite Crisis thing and it make me want to yell at DC writers like I'm used to do to the Marvels (because when it comes to Magneto characterizazion Marvel is around the schizophrenic area of some hospital for the differences from one story to another).
How dare they to kill Kon ad private Bart of his powers (I've heard that they had in some way come back but he isn't back in Titans or so they've told me) ? That's it! Another one.
35. Putting up with loosing his second best friend because he hadn't his power anymore.
I'm really afraid of what Tim could do now. He's a teenager, not even at the legal age in the majority of USA states (In Italy legal age to vote and decide without parents acceptation on legal matter is 18 by the way) and he's such an emo that I'm surprised he hadn't try to suicide.
But we, the fans, love him so they keep him alive and relatively sane. (If he weren't love we could have been dealing with another Jason Todd, God save us from that).
Even if, like you had said, no one right in his mind would had try to clone Superman and Lex Luthor.
The latest of Tim ideas, for what I've heard on scan_sites and around the fandom, is that he had noticed that Raven of the Titans had create a body for his brother Jericho and he had decide to ask her if she can bring back Kon.
That's a lot better, but still ... it's innatural and desperate try to bring back someone who were not happy to die but also were not happy with who he were in his last weeks of life.
Tim had to be totally on the edge if he can't letting go, but I don't blame him. He had lost all the important people and things of his life in ... a nothing, compared to the natural duration of a life.
(Btw, this whole discussion with you is viewing Kon in the optic of "the best friend of Tim" and "Tim is an heterosexual male" but half of my heart is the heart of a slasher and I can't stop this part to remind to myself, from time to time, that such an attachment is a little too much exagerate to be completely heterosexual.)
I've got a terrible plot-bunny in my head that is pestering me from like ... a month, so I think that maybe I will give it a try when I got over my sadness for the last news on Tim. (Maybe I could make the chapters match with my Big Damn Table at fanfic100_ita ...).
It's a thing about Tim becaming so desperate for the failing of his attempts to go to Luthor, trading his ability in entering in place without being seen for information about how the Cadmus had make Kon alive for the first time.
BTW, did you know that the TTE revived Kon? Or Match. Or something.
But now there's like this zombie Kon (complete with backwards S) running around. Cassie's freaked the hell out when she saw him, and I'm guessing that Tim will go batshit insane too.
Man, I feel bad for Tim. How much more hurt does he have to go through?
I had heard that this one is Match so things are worse then ever. Because they don't let Tim revive Kon but the TTE revive Match and Kon use to friggin hate his evil clone.
And about the hurt Tim had to endure ...
36. Dealing with his stepmother Dana being putted in a institute for crazy people for the stress of being present at the death of Jack Drake. (I've forgot this one. His stepmother is somewhere, locked down.)
37. Losing the first (and near only) normal girl he had actively tried to date when Ariana return in Kazhakistan (or where she were from)
38. Losing his school 'friend' Darla who used to had a crush on him but had died when the mafia war exploded and shredded Gotham.
So the answer is: ENOUGH!
I think that when Tim discover that someone had bring back Match and had triumphed where he had failed he would done the next things:
1) Freak out
2) Get angry
3) Trash Match into tiny pieces and if not him at least his ego and smack him with his Bo staff
4) Chase down who had done this thing and make him spill out how he had done
5) Beat the sh*t out of this person and make ensure that he/she would never done another thing
6) Show (metaphorically because he's not this crude) the finger to Raven
7) Try to revive Kon anyway.
Because Tim couldn't simply let go. Not this time. Batman had lost his parents, this Tim could handle. Not having a girl? Nightwing had surfed between crashed relationship and he's still here. But being deprived of the only person who had ever try to seen him like Robin and Tim Drake at the same time, accepting sometimes both this sides of him but also telling him to fu*k off when he deserve it.
Btw: I've seen your livejournal and your art. You're great! And I also like Young Avengers and Wildstorms Authority! If you want we could talk live on AIM / ICQ / MSN (I've all three of them). If you want to contact me you could send me a private message and I would respond you. (Only remember that from coast to coast of USA there is a time span of 5/6 to 8/9 hours with the Italy time ^___-)
I was just thinking about this today, and it struck me as something that seems really out of character for Tim to do. For one thing, Tim is not a selfish person. I mean, the entire reason that he became Robin in the first place wasn't for himself or to be a hero to even to make the world a better place, but to help Batman. Although Kon didn't want to die (probably), it still seemed like the way he had died had been honorable and dignified, and it was a satisfying death. And he had moved on, according to Raven.
So Tim is doing this for entirely selfish reasons, he just misses Kon, and that's as far as that goes.
Btw, I'm a slasher as well. >__> I post all my relatively normal art on dA, but I have an lj and y where I keep all my slashy fanart, check it out if you're interested: [link]